Everyone is happy about the big agreement of the Dominican government with Barrick Gold related to Pueblo Viejo Gold mine in Cotui, but there are certain issues not finished yet..
In a press conference after a meeting of several hours between senior officials and Barrick Gold executives in the National Palace, the government announced the pact to amend the contract, to be submitted to Congress as soon as possible.
Among other points, the agreement will raise Government revenue by more than US$1.5 billion over the project's duration, in addition to the US$10.0 billion projected in March 2013, and raises the profit split from 37.1% to 51.3 % for the country, and lowers Barrick’s from 62.9% to 48.7%
Everything looks clear in the agreement..except for a couple of things:
- We haven't seen a dime yet..
- We haven't get clear what is going to happens with the millions in fines of BG that they already owe to the Dominican state.. ..
Do BG have any plan to employ Dominican people instead of bringing more peruvians?
- What is going to happens with the cyanide and mercury? How are they going to clean that mess?
- What is going to happens with the crops of cocoa beans, coffee beans and fishing infrastructure that we had before..? Any reforestation plans either?
- Did anybody realize that we are pushing for more marginality of Dominican people by allowing the eviction of 600 families?
- So far, instead of bringing prosperity to Cotui area, BG only brought misery , illness, cyanide, evictions, and poverty..
What the government, in charge of protecting its people ,is going to do about it?
- Is there any plan study to analyze the horrendous environmental consequences of Barrick Gold in DR?
2000 years later..I still hearing Jesus saying, "Father, forgive them, for they don't know what they are doing. .